Sunday, February 04, 2007


Thank you Kim and Shanna for the input~you both said what I've been leaning towards, and exactly what my teacher told me on Friday. Make sure the lead and manager know I'm here to work for them, but I can't not look for other work. As long as I'm honest, they have no reason to doubt my commitment to getting a job with them, even if I look for a benefited position.

They posted the March schedule. I get done on March 9th, and starting the 12th I work full time through the rest of the month. 1 week of days, then 2 of swing shift. The second week of swing shift falls over spring break, so I'll be able to hang out with the kids in the AM, and take them to school at lunch time. It'd be nice if I could do that every time I work swing shift.

We went and looked at houses today. Our house is just too small for our family, and I'm not sure adding on would be the best use of money. The problem is to get a house in the location we want will be really hard. I know what school districts I want to be in here in town, but I know nothing of the small towns around here.

We looked at 2 different new neighborhoods about 20 minutes away. 1 was right by train tracks. Busy train tracks. But a train went by while we were there and it's not really that bad. The largest house in that development is in our price range (it's a 1 story, 1500 sq ft, 3 bed, 2 bath single story house). The next development had quite a few different builders. The first house we went in was very nice. Definately a step up from what we had been looking at. Granite countertops, hardwood floors, huge arcing windows, large closets ect. But about 60k more. There were a few other house in that development that were nice, and closer to our range.

I talked to a realtor who is going to be emailing us some stuff here in Salem. He is actually the step dad of my one "serious" boyfriend from high school. And odd coincidence is that Dan, my ex, ended up his girlfriend after me, just like I ended up with my next non-fling after him.

If we can get a house in Salem in our price range, it's going to be a ranch style, built in the 50's or 60's that needs work, or a cookie cutter built in the 80's/early 90's, that is only 200-300 sq ft bigger than our current house.

I'm not sure if I want to move out of Salem. I've NEVER lived in a small town (this one has about 3000). There are no school options other than the 1 public elementary school or the baptist private school. My parents wouldn't be able to help out at all with sick kids or picking up, without notice. There is nothing in the town. Nothing.

So that's what has consumed my thoughts this weekend. The job thing, and the house thing. We'll be contacting a couple of lenders this week to see what we qualify for, and to possibly get pre-approved. I hope that we don't have to wait until after I'm done with school to get serious about getting a place, I'd rather plan on moving late spring/early summer than late summer, early fall....

1 comment:

Di said...

That is so hard when you think about moving away from your family. It is so easy to rely on them when you really need them ESPECIALLY with kids. You mentioned the houses you are looking at are an additional 2-300 sq feet more. Is it another bedroom you are looking for? We thought about adding a fifth bedroom here until we found out it would be about 45,000 dollars. We figured we could live with four, but I totally understand. I think unless you love your house, it is probably better to find something else. You might want to rethink though, since there is only ONE school and you will be away from your family. Man, why does life have to be so hard!


site analysis