Sunday, July 30, 2006

the problem

The problem is that Gina is in England with the lovely national health plan. They are talking about doing pallative chemotherapy, but not surgery. Unless the chemo does more then they are expecting it to do. Right now the tumor is so large and spread out, surgery would be challenging, plus she has a bloodclot.

They said she has pneumonia, but they didn't even do a CT scan PE (pulmonary embolisim) study to rule the blood clot moving out. They did a chest x-ray. All that would show is that either YES she has pneumonia or YES the cancer has metastisized in her lungs, but she woudln't have problems from that until the sites weer quite large. A chest x-ray does NOT SHOW pe's.

We are looking in to either putting her in to private care there in England which is $$$$ or bringing her over here, but at this point, the care here probably won't elongate her life.

I am looking in to the Burzynski Clinic. Anyone heard of it or have any thing good/bad to say about it? It's located in Huston TX. My dad is calling them tomorrow for information.

If Gina is unable to travel, I'll be going out to England for a week or so. Luckily my program director and clinical coordinator now understand what is going on and why I want to go, and are fine with it. I'll just have to find a way to make up the hours later. I still have 3 weeks of vacation time, but that's a week off Labor day week, and 2 weeks at Christmas. So if I have to work any of that, it's fine.

My mom is still over in England with my sister, and depending on how things go on Wednesday when they FINALLY get to meet with the oncologist, they'll get a prognosis. If it looks like weeks vs months, then my mom will just stay, and I'll try to get a ticket over ASAP along with my dad and siblings.

I can't stop thinking about Margo and what's going to happen with her. She lives with her dad now anyways, but she has a close bond with her mom as well. She just knows her mummy is sick, but not much else.

My mom is not doing well being over there under all that stress. Her and Gina have gotten in to a number of fights. She's started drinking, but that has never been a problem for her, and my mom drinking=1 pint of beer a night.

Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers and ideas. We don't have a total picture of what's going on quite yet, but hopefully will soon.

1 comment:

mamatulip said...

My heart is breaking for you and your family...I'm thinking of you and sending big hugs your way.

 

site analysis