Thursday, February 23, 2012

Where did the last 10 months go??

Shortly after my last post we found out we were having baby #3.  Initially we were due on December 30th, 2011, and after our first ultrasound, that was changed to January 9th, 2012.  We told family and friends about a month after we had found out--we didn't want to have to untell anyone due to a miscarriage.  Jacob and Clara were extremely excited!

In July we found out that the baby was going to be a girl.  While I had almost weekly ultrasounds done at work, baby girl wouldn't cooperate until almost 20 weeks.

Around 30 weeks we notice that she was breech and wasn't flipping around.  We didn't start worrying about this until about 34 weeks, and while she would shift slightly, she never did want to turn.  After discussing trying to turn her, my OB and I decided that it wasn't worth it.  So a c-section was scheduled for January 8th, 2012.  I decided giving her as much time to flip as possible would be a good thing.

Monday December 26th I was off of work, so we went to see Puss n Boots with some friends.  That night I noticed that baby girl hadn't been moving very much.  At my 38week appointment the next day, I mentioned this to my OB.  This resulted in having a BPP (biophysical profile--ultrasound exam) done to check on baby.  She didn't pass it--she wouldn't flex/extend her extremities.  After sitting around to wait for the results, I was sent to the hospital to have a non-stress test done.  She did fine for this, and my OB was called with the results and I was sent home.  I was told to come back if the baby wouldn't move, I didn't feel good, ect.  The next morning I spoke with my OB to clarify the non-moving part, as baby girl still wasn't doing much moving.  At this point, the OB decided that the next day was the day to have my c-section.

When I found out, I was at work.  I just sat there after I got off the phone, trying to absorb the news.  I was only leaving work 6 days before my scheduled last day, but I Still had so much shit to do!  I finally told me boss that it was my last day, and everything became real.

That night I spent 3 hours cleaning and organzing my bedroom and getting my bag and the baby bag packed to take to the hospital.  Jacob and Clara spent the night with grammy and papa, as I had to be at the hospital at 7am to check in for the 9am c-section time.  I think I managed to get 6 hours of sleep??

I was so nervous after we got to the hospital and taken back to the room.  My OB was aware of this, and tried to keep things light.  She was great, I'm so glad she was who I had chosen way back in May.  The did another ultrasound to verify that baby girl was indeed still breech, and then got me prepped to go into surgery.  I've been in surgery plenty of times--I know what it's like, what it smells like, what all the tools look like etc, but it's not fun being on the patient side of things.  When it was time to have the spinal done, my OB was the one who held me in position and talked about what to expect and how great things were going to go.  Suddenly I was hot and tingly from my chest down, and things were started.

I was so shaky during the start of the surgery.  I was hot, shaky, nausious, and scared.  After about 15 minutes they finally let Tom in.  As soon as he sat down I started crying.  It was the weirdest thing.  About 2 minutes later, baby girl was born.  I was so relieved that she was okay.  My OB commented that she was very happy they did the c-section, there was very little fluid left in there, and baby girl was cramped.

At 9:23am on December 29th, 2011, baby girl Mundal was born via c-section.  She weighed 8lbs 1oz and was 20.5 inches long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I’m applying for admission to my college’s radiography program next month. The program is competitive and while my grades will almost certainly get me through to the interview round, I have some lingering concerns. Part of the screening process involves explaining research you’ve done about the field prior to applying. It makes sense to me, whittling down applicants to only those who are serious. That being said though, I work full time and have a family, in addition to going to school. I don’t have enough hours in the day to intern or volunteer.

So,.. My strategy has been to conduct short email interviews with people currently in the field. This is where you come along! It would be immensely helpful and greatly appreciated if you could take some time to answer the following questions.

What is your educational background?
Within the field of radiography, what is your current job title?
Have you held any other positions within the field?
What is your favorite part of the job?
What is your least favorite part of the job?
Do you have any advice for someone interested in entering the field?

I’ve tried to keep it (relatively) short. Please feel free to go into as much (or as little) detail as you feel inclined.

Again, any and all input would be a huge help to me.

Take care,



site analysis