Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Not better

We had a little boy (5th birthday in August) come in to day with a pretty bad break in both his radius and ulna. The Dr decided to try to set it and cast it. Turns out the break was too bad, and since it was so close to his growth plates (RIGHT below the wrist), they took him down to surgery.

The bad part was watching the Dr try to set it. OMG I thought I was going to faint/freak out/cry something. Even now, it's making me cringe. he basically had the hand/wrist perpindicular to the forearm, at the break. I can't even describe it, but it was bad. I was so proud of the little guy though, he just kept saying it hurts, it hurts. And his mom totally held it together!!! I don't think I could have.

Because of incidences like above, I've become one of *those* moms when we are at the park. I won't let Jake or Clara do anything by themselves, and they are banned from the monkey bars (seems like 9 times outta 10 the broken forearms/wrists are from them).

We did have a "Code 5" called today. This is the code for an agressive person. Literally 50 or 60 people showed up. When they call it, all available people are supposed to go to the spot, in this case the ER lobby. We weren't doing any exams, so all 4 of us headed over. We were in the first 10 or 15 people to show up. With in 30 seconds the whole area just FILLED. People were pouring out of the stairways, and down the hall. Crazy. Pretty funny really. I'm guessing we weren't the only slow department this AM....

Code 5 is supposed to be a 'show of force' only to intimidate the person. Then if it's 'hands on' there is a team of 5 (hence code 5) that are trained to immobilize the person. I don't think it got that far, but the cops were called, and turned out the guy had 3 'weapons' (I'm assuming knives?) in his pocket.

How exciting.

1 comment:

Di said...

oh my gosh. I always worry about someone breaking something and them having to re-set it. Gross!

 

site analysis